Wednesday, January 28, 2015
Tuesday, January 27, 2015
Friday, January 23, 2015
Here's a quick peek at our short week!
- Symphony assessment on the iPad
- Learned to use the standard algorithm to add two-digit numbers with or without grouping
- Used number lines to model two-digit addition
- Added 3 and 4 two-digit numbers
- Began our informative writing unit
- Wrote a pre-assessment piece on an animal we know a lot about (we loved this!)
- Looked at a mentor text to find features of a good report
- Brainstormed what we already know about North America for our class book
- Wrote a fact we think we know about North America on a sticky note and posted it on our R.A.N. chart
In social studies:
- Finished up studying maps/globes and landforms/bodies of water
- We will use the information we learned during social studies to help us during our informative writing unit
- Field trip is NEXT Thursday, January 29th
- We will eat snack before the field trip. Students will return back to the school before the scheduled lunch time so students can either bring lunch from home or buy from the cafeteria
Friday, January 16, 2015
This week in math we learned how to add two-digit and one-digit numbers using regrouping. We learned to regroup when the ones add up to 10 or more. Next week we will add two-digit and two-digit numbers.
In social studies we are learning about the seven continents and major oceans. We finished our Me on the Map project! We are also studying different landforms and bodies of water.
We visited the science exhibit on patterns from the Burlington Science Center in the lobby.
In honor of Martin Luther King Jr. we read Martin's Big Words. We also did a fun activity with our reading buddies in 5th grade!
Star Reader Caitlin!
We ❤️ our reading buddies!
Enjoy the long weekend!
Friday, January 9, 2015
Welcome back to school! We started the new year by writing resolutions! We came up with great ways to can improve ourselves and help others. We set goals and we're sticking to them!
This week in math we finished Topic 7 (mental subtraction). We learned how to subtract using the hundred chart, find parts of 100, and subtract multiples of 10. We played a memory match game and a parts of 100 game.
We are starting social studies! We observed maps and globes and completed a venn diagram to compare. We watched a BrainPOP video about maps. We read Me on the Map and drew a map of our classroom. We are working on learning our town, state, country, continent, and planet. Students need to know the 7 continents and 4 major oceans.
Homework routines are changing next week. Students will now to writing leader/follower sentences to get us ready for paragraph writing. We practiced writing leader/follower sentences and will do more next week!
It's been a lonnggggg week of indoor recess! But we are keeping ourselves busy :)
- Field trip on Thursday, January 29th!
- No school on January 19th